Why no data scientists or machine learning engineers ever recommend UpGrad
I am gonna share some unknown facts about the most boasted/marketed course by UpGrad. But first of all hats off to the UpGrad marketing team who creates innovative ads — also note that UpGrad spends a significant amount of money in its marketing team and promotion rather than improving its old aged deprecated content. I was lured by their advertisements and paid a hefty sum of ₹5,00,000 to UpGrad to get diploma and masters.
It's easy to target indian audience because this concept is new and seems fashionable these days. But you should also know ‘All that glitters is not gold’.
Being a student at UpGrad, I can say that the rigorous learning at UpGrad is not worth it — Its killing my time and I am learning literally NOTHING! Do you also think the certificate, the degree of UpGrad is valuable? You are mistaken my dear — It’s not worth it. I will be sharing few low cost alternatives at the end of this article.
Tweet source: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1208841343440568320
Don’t rush for certifications or degrees. All that matters is your knowledge, skills, experience you have gain from the projects that you have worked on. No Data Scientist or Deep Learning/Machine Learning Expert or Engineer ever recommended UpGrad, or even Bits Pilani.
In just 10% of the price or even 5% of the price of UpGrad Certificate you can become an expert in Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and Data Science with a faster pace and in a better way too.
Unfortunately I fell in the trap of UpGrad’s marketing and got enrolled myself in, paying up a hefty fees of ₹5,00,000 — thats a lot amount for a working professional in India.
Don’t even get attracted by the posts made in linkedin about UpGrad. They are new tactics by the marketing team in UpGrad. In one of the post they claimed they provided a whooping 75 LPA package. Remember: If you have less experience you won't be paid that much even if you pass out from UpGrad with 4/4 GPA. It depends on your machine learning/data science experience+knowledge and NOT ON THE UPGRAD’S CERTIFICATE.
See William Chen’s answer on Quora on How to become a Data Scientist at FREE or lowest possible price: https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-become-a-data-scientist-1/answers/4451343
William Chen is a Data Scientist and a Harvard University Graduate.
As mentioned earlier, I would be sharing some materials both free and paid that are way better than UpGrad’s Machine Learning/Data science.
- Youtube — quality machine learning videos you can find here like StatQuest with Josh Starmer, Krish Naik, Sentdex, CS50, Data School and Machine Learning University (there are even more..)
Why I do not recommend UpGrad?
- The platform CRASHES a lot — almost every week.
- No proper support.
- The 1–1 mentorship call doesn't add any value, rather it kills time.
- The course content, the assignments are no longer valuable, or is loosing its value (and they are not updating!) — the contents are from 2015 and they made videos in 2017 — few of the libraries are gonna be deprecated in few months — also they haven't used the production libraries in the courses. They used only the “easy to use” libraries to get away with the course. But in reality the libraries are not for any production use. The assignments which we do are mostly basic.
- DEADLINES — we need to watch 40 hours video every week + solve graded problems. We as a working professionals find it difficult to cope up with this pace. the professors/lecturers in the recorded video are another headache! They copied everything from the courses available in coursera — still they couldn't get there, UpGrad’s courses are still not better than Coursera.
- Another time killer: the live web sessions are almost same as the recorded sessions. 400+ students join it and most of the questions remains unanswered. The speaker keeps on speaking endlessly.
- That’s way too expensive, not at all worth 10% of the money. Certificate might have some value now — BUT won’t be of any value later. If you enrolling yourself for learning — this might not be the best for you! Try Udemy, Coursera, edX, datacamp and more.
That is why I think they do not refund any money but have a “deferral” thing which you need to pay extra 10% if you are not able to cope up.
Unlike Coursera, UpGrad was started with a money making idea. Not with the purpose of delivering quality education.
If you are reading this, you must be checking about how’s upgrad and IIITB before getting enrolled. My final conclusion is: DO NOT GET ENROLLED in Upgrad.
All that matters is your skills, talent, knowledge. That you gain from learning, dedication practise, and more practise. Be consistent in your learning!
Wishing you a Happy Learning!
Please feel free to leave your comments/queries below and share it with all those who need to know. Clap for this article — I think it deserves!